- It has been discovered that the 2023 Lamborghini Urus Performante is a lighter and faster variant of the ordinary Urus.
- The Performante gets 16 horsepower (657 total), reduces 104 pounds, and rides on steel springs rather than air springs in addition to new aesthetics.
- The $264,671 Urus Performante also boasts a Rally drive mode, a centre differential that is biassed towards the rear, and optionally available super-sticky Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R tyres.
The Lamborghini Urus is already a super ute, but the recently unveiled 2023 Urus Performante seeks to raise it a few notches. Pump the breaks now before someone gets too excited about it using the V-12 or V-10 from the Aventador or the Huracán. We discovered firsthand during a test drive that the new Performante model isn’t a radical metamorphosis, but rather an improved version of an already amazing machine. Let’s now look at the features that set the ultra Urus apart from the standard one.
Show Me Your Grill, Please.
Okay, so the new Performante can still not be confused with anything other than a Lamborghini Urus. It does, however, have a redesigned mug that is still committed to absorbing as much environment as possible. Just take a look at how much of its air intakes’ surface area they take up. It resembles the mouth of a monster. According to Lamborghini, the updated bumper design improves engine cooling, and an air curtain now directs airflow over the front wheels. The hood has also undergone redesigning, making it lighter and more aerodynamic as well as cooler looking with deeper cut lines. The latter is due to its innovative carbon-fiber design.
The Performante boasts a specially crafted rear spoiler that Lamborghini claims increases downforce by 38%. The aerodynamic changes don’t end with the cowl, either. Additionally composed of carbon fibre, the vehicle’s rear bumper and diffuser enclose a set of conventional titanium exhaust tips. It is over 1 inch longer than the standard Urus thanks to changes to the front and rear exteriors.
Gain in horsepower
The Performante has the same 4.0-liter V-8 twin turbocharger as the standard Urus. The racier model boasts an additional 16 horsepower, giving it 657 horsepower as opposed to 641 horsepower, however both versions produce the same 627 pound-feet of torque. An eight-speed automatic gearbox keeps distributing that power to the vehicle’s four wheels. According to Lamborghini, the Performante accelerates from 0 to 62 mph in 0.3 seconds less time than the standard Urus. Additionally, it is reported to accelerate from zero to 124 mph in 11.5 seconds, which is 1.3 ticks faster.
Turn on rally mode.
The all-wheel-drive system has a new centre differential that transfers more torque rearward, while the eight-speed gearbox of the Urus has been retuned for Performante duty. A new calibration for the drivetrain and a Rally drive mode have also been added, and we were more than eager to test them out on the prototype drive. On a gravel-covered off-road handling course, we indulged in a lot of power oversteer, but we have to agree that it would be less appealing if it were our own six-figure SUV.
The chassis is equally as crucial to performance vehicles as the engine, if not more so. The Performante differs from the standard Urus, which rides on an air suspension, maybe most in this area. The Performante sits 0.8 inches lower thanks to a set of steel springs, and its dampers have also been modified. The standard rear-axle steering is touted to act more quickly and better turn-in response, and its track width also increases by around 0.6 inches. During the prototype drive, we had the opportunity to witness the Performante’s amazing high-speed performance; nevertheless, we had little experience with it in the real world.
More Sticky Shoes
Lightweight 22-inch forged wheels are standard on the Urus Performante, however 23-inch rollers are also an option. Even more noteworthy is the set of extremely sticky Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R tyres that are offered. According to Lamborghini, these are the first semi-slick tyres Pirelli has created for an SUV. The rears of the 22s are 10mm wider than those of the normal Urus and measure 285/40 up front and 325/35 in back.
Even though there aren’t many, our one complaint about the Urus is that it could use to lose a few pounds. How often do supercars weigh more than 5000 pounds, after all? Let’s wait. With the Performante makeover, Lamborghini has thankfully reduced some of the SUV’s excess girth. Even though it’s only said to weigh 104 pounds, it’s still something. The Urus’s redesigned carbon-fiber hood, steel springs (which save 30 pounds alone), and lessened sound deadening are mostly to blame for its diet.
There’s not a lot that separates the Performante’s interior from what’s inside the lesser version. Along with standard microsuede cabin materials, it introduces a new hexagonal design for the seat stitching. Other unique bits and pieces include color and trim options for places including the doors, headliner, and seatbacks. Of course, Lamborghini’s Ad Personam program allows customers to further personalize their Urus. Some neat options include matte carbon-fiber accents and red door handles.
A camouflaged version of the 2023 Urus Performante was busy setting a production-SUV record at the renowned Pikes Peak hill-climb track before it was made public. With a final time of 10:32.064, the Lamborghini finished approximately 18 seconds faster than the 2018 Bentley Bentayga, which had previously won with a time of 10:49.902. The feat was confirmed by the official timekeepers of the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, even though it didn’t take place during the competition this year.
How much does one of those retail for?
By the end of the year, the 2023 Lamborghini Urus Performante is scheduled to go on sale with a large starting price of $264,871. That is over $35,000 more than the basic price of the 2022 Urus, which was $229,495. The Performante version is still expected to account for at least half of all sales, according to the Italian automaker. We can understand why, and if we had the money, this is the one we’d want to have in our garage. It has some great enhancements.
2023 Lamborghini Urus Performante – FAQ
1. What is the 2023 Lamborghini Urus Performante? The 2023 Lamborghini Urus Performante is an upgraded version of the already powerful Urus SUV, known for its high-performance capabilities and luxurious design.
2. What sets the Urus Performante apart from the standard Urus model? The Urus Performante boasts enhanced performance features, including a more powerful engine, improved aerodynamics, and performance-focused tuning, making it even more exhilarating to drive.
3. What is the engine specification of the Urus Performante? The Urus Performante is equipped with a robust engine, likely to be a more potent iteration of Lamborghini’s V8 or V12 engine, delivering increased horsepower and torque for a thrilling driving experience.
4. How does the Urus Performante perform on the road? With its upgraded engine and performance enhancements, the Urus Performante is expected to accelerate faster and handle corners more adeptly than the standard model, ensuring an exciting driving experience on various terrains.
5. Are there any design differences in the Urus Performante? Yes, the Urus Performante is likely to feature unique design elements, such as a more aggressive front fascia, special badging, sportier body accents, and possibly exclusive color options, emphasizing its high-performance nature.
6. What about the interior of the Urus Performante? While details might vary, expect the Urus Performante’s interior to offer a blend of luxury and sportiness, with premium materials, advanced technology, and possibly distinct interior touches that reflect its performance-focused identity.
7. How does the Urus Performante handle off-road situations? While the primary focus is on-road performance, Lamborghini’s all-wheel-drive system and advanced suspension should still provide a level of off-road capability, albeit less pronounced compared to its on-road prowess.
8. Will the Urus Performante have any tech upgrades? It’s likely that the Urus Performante will feature advanced tech enhancements, possibly including updated infotainment systems, driver-assistance features, and connectivity options to complement its high-performance persona.
9. What about the pricing and availability? Exact pricing and availability details will depend on the official announcements from Lamborghini. However, as a higher-performance variant, the Urus Performante is expected to come at a premium compared to the standard Urus.
10. How does the Urus Performante compare to its competitors? The Urus Performante will likely compete with other high-performance SUVs in its segment, offering Lamborghini’s distinct style, performance, and luxury, which could set it apart from competitors like the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S and Bentley Bentayga Speed.